Skip to main content

Its Happening...Stay F#cking Calm

Nevermind Penney's ( No disrespect to people who love it, no judgement here) I'm more excited that Libraries and Bookshops get to reopen thier doors again.
I won't get to visit them because I'm still housebound at present due to chronic illness but I am absolutely thrilled they get to re-open and my family will be able to pop in for me so I can continue to support them at a distance. 
Is a town really complete without a bookshop.

 Throughout the pandemic I've tried to support irish book shops as much as possible by buying from them online. Secret Book & Record, Dubray, Kenny's, Vibes & Scribes have all had the pleasure of my business this year. Smaller operations didn't have the advantage of a website for online orders that the larger booksellers all have, which made things tricky especially when your introverted so I'm hoping to support my local independent bookshop more now that it's back up and running. 

If your in Drogheda please pop in to Academy Books In Southgate Shopping Centre. They had only been open 11 months when the closures started happening. Irene and all her staff are so helpful and kind and you can even grab a coffee while your there. This is in no way a sponsored post I just really want to see all our independent book shops thriving again. 

I want that for all book shops if I'm honest but it's always good to support the little guy because they are usually the ones who really appreciate every customer and every order they receive.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lovecraft County, Vision & The Scarlet Witch: A Year In The Life, The Fellowship Of The Ring

My Week In Books February 22nd-28th Lovecraft Country by Matt Ruff I read H.P Lovecrafts complete works last winter and while there where elements I enjoyed I couldn't get past his blatant prejudices, classism and racism and nor would I want to. I read a lot of classics and so I'm usually able to see it through the lense of the time in which it was written but I wasn't able to do that with H.P. Lovecraft.  Lovecraft Country tackles the conjunction between the horror fiction of H. P. Lovecraft and racism in the United States during the era of Jim Crow and it tackles it amazingly well. Lovecraft Country is a book worthy of anyone's bookshelf. Every carachter came to life with ease, none of them felt forced or two dimensional. I especially loved Atticus, Letitia and Ruby.  I have yet to watch the TV Show adaption but now that I have read the book I feel like I know these carachters and can't wait to dive in and compare my imagination with that of the screen...

Burn by Patrick Ness

Given the name of this blog it seems only fitting that my first review would be a book about Dragons. Burn is the first Patrick Ness book I have ever read and I'm not sure why as I am familiar with his work having seen and been impressed by the film Adaptation of A Monster Calls and being a Whovian  (Fan of Doctor Who) Im also very aware that Patrick  Ness wrote Class which was an amazing Doctor Who spinoff that got prematurely and very unfairly cancelled after only one season. It was essentially a Firefly situation in my opinion. I'm still not over it. There was so much left unexplored and Katherine Kelly's carachter Andrea Quill was so intriguing not to mention an absolute badass. Burn much like Doctor Who deals with " Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey Stuff  " in that the story deals with the theory or in this case reality of quantum realms or at least the "many world's" theorum anyhow. I found this aspect of the book fa...

We Aren't Perfect Isn't That A Relief

I don't like comparing authors but the style of Snowflake by Louise Nealon did remind me a bit of Sally Rooney's Normal People. If anything it was better and I say this without wanting to be crappy to Sally Rooney who is amazing in her own right. Snowflake has a wit and a very down to earth relatable feel about it that helps lighten the heavy subject matter for the reader somewhat. The varying depictions of mental illness are very well done and I really have to commend Louise Nealon for this. Pretty much everyone in it has or has had some sort of struggle with thier mental health. It is also lovely to read books like this that come from an Irish perspective and give an honest account of what it's like to come of age in the Ireland of today. I also really liked her perspective on Trinity. "You don't need to be smart to get in to Trinity. You just have to be stubborn". Trinity is like the holy grail of colleges in Ireland and often people don't f...